SUMMER SAFETY TIPS
The Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to
try and make people aware of fires as a result of static electricity
at gas pumps. They have researched 150 cases of these fires. The
results were very surprising.
- Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
- Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their
vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished
and they went back to pull the nozzle out and a fire started,
as a result of static.
- Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
- Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished.
This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
- Don’t ever use cell phones when pumping gas.
- It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire,
when connected with static changes.
- There were 29 fires where the vehicle was reentered and the
nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and
models. Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to
the station, and to the customer.
- Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately
after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.
NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling
it with gas. If you absolutely HAVE to get in your
vehicle while the gas in pumping, make sure you get out, close the
door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the
nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged
before you ever remove the nozzle.
As mentioned earlier, the Petroleum Equipment Institute, along
with several other companies now, are really trying to make the
public aware of this danger. You can find out more information by
going to http://www.pei.org.
Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says “Stop